How to install a template for Joomla
Installing Joomla Template
To install an exported and zipped template via the Joomla administration panel in Joomla 2.5 please do the following:
- Go to Joomla Administrator (www.your-site.com/administrator) -> Extensions -> Extension Manager
- In the "Extension Manager" choose the first option "Upload Package File"
- Click the "Choose..." button to select the zip file from your computer
- Click the "Upload & Install" button
- Go to Extensions -> Template Manager
- Find the template in the list and put a star next to it
- Click the "Make Default" button.
NOTE: If the name of the template you would like to install already exists, you should rename or delete the existing template before installing a new template with the identical name. Such procedure is typical for Joomla. An old template cannot be replaced automatically with the new template with the same name.
Actually, many servers use the default limit of 2 MB on the maximum file size. If this is the case with your server, some template files are considered too big and cannot be uploaded by using the"Upload&Install" button. Then to install the template please follow the steps below:
- Upload your .zip file to a temporary folder on your server (e.g. via FTP).
- Unzip your template package.
- Log in to your Joomla Administration and select Extensions -> Extension Manager -> Install.
- Under the "Install from Directory" option enter the full path to the folder on server where your unzipped file is located.
- Click the "Install" button.
After the installation by any of the shown ways you can activate the template like this:
- Log in to your Joomla Administration and select Extensions -> Template Manager.
- Select your newly uploaded template from the list of available templates for your site and put a star next to it.
- Click the "Make Default" button to activate your template.
VERY IMPORTANT: To make sure that your template looks identical to how it appears on ColorfulTemplates, it is absolutely imperative that you enable "Include Content".
On the other hand "Include Content" might delete your old content, so make sure you have made a backup.
To install sample content as seen on ColorfulTemplates please do the following:
- Go to Extensions -> Template Manager, and open your template
- Click "Import Content from Template" under the Basic Options
- Click the "Import" button.
For more information please visit http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_install_templates